Friday, September 16, 2016

Barometric Pressure And Deer Movement

© By Othmar Vohringer

In an email a hunter asked me if barometric pressure influences deer movement, and if so how?

If you have been following me then you know that I am an avid weather watcher and time my hunts around the weather forecast. With that said, the short answer to the question is; yes barometric pressure does affect deer movement.

For past 20 plus years I make careful notes of all observations in the deer woods, particularly about deer movement patterns at different times of the day and under various weather conditions. Analyzing the notes shows that there is no question that cold, snow, rain, warm and hot weather greatly influence deer movement patterns. Cold, hot, rain and snow are the things we can see and feel. What we can’t see is the biggest deer movement factor of all; barometric pressure. Barometric pressure is difficult to judge, unless you own an instrument, check daily weather forecasts on the Internet or download the Scout Look Weather app onto your smartphone.

In my office, right above the desk, hangs a weather station that shows me current weather conditions and estimated weather condition for the next 24 hours. The gizmo also shows me falling and rising barometric pressures. This weather station is one of the most important hunting investments I have made because it shows me in real time when the best times to go hunting long before it occurs. Forget about moon phase charts. Bring on barometric pressure to determine deer travel activity.

But there is more. While comparing my field notes I noticed that there seems to be an ideal barometric pressure that triggers deer movement which is between 30.00 and 40.00 on the barometric scale. I also found that more deer movement takes place on a rising barometric pressure versus a falling pressure. The best time to see lots of deer moving seems to be exactly at the peak of the barometric pressure.

With all that said there is another truth to be considered. The only time you’re able to shoot a buck is the time you’re out hunting. The more time you spend hunting the higher chances are that you will be successful, regardless of weather and times. In other words, go hunting every time you can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...